Indonesia is a country with various transportation. In Surabaya, where Petra Christian University is located, there are several options of transportation. Surabaya people drives car and motorcycle as their daily transportation from place to place. In Surabaya, both car and motorcycle are deemed as private vehicle and many citizens own them. As for the local public transportation, the city of Surabaya has:
- Becak (Rickshaw, it is the picture on the top page)
- Online transportation / online taxi (Gocar or Grab)
The fares for bus, bemo, and becak range from IDR 5,000 to IDR 10,000 for 1 way trip depends on the distance. When riding bus, bemo, or becak you say “Kiri, Pak!” (“Left, sir!”) when you feel you have reached your destination because the driver usually will stop as per request. The more convenient public transportation is taxi. Around Petra you can find Silver Taxi standing by near the W canteen.
Surabaya is also bustling with online transportation that you can order via your phone application. However, do keep in mind that the drivers, mostly, cannot speak English or any other foreign languages besides our mother tongue. Hence, brush up your Bahasa Indonesia or ask your local friend to order the vehicle for you.
If you want to go to another city outside of Surabaya, you can either take the intercity bus or train. In Surabaya, there are several recommend bus terminals.
- Terminal Joyoboyo: Jl. Joyoboyo No. 1
- Terminal Purabaya: Jl. Bungurasih Timur
- Terminal Bratang: Jl Bratang Jaya
For train, the possible options are:
- Gubeng Surabaya Train Station (Stasiun Gubeng Surabaya): Jl. Stasiun Gubeng Surabaya
- Pasar Turi Train Station (Stasiun Pasar Turi): Jl Semarang No. 1